10.01.2007

trapped inside the labyrinth


trapped inside the labyrinth, originally uploaded by prettyjjbean.

Sometimes it is difficult finding our way back through the mirror. As much as I desire to write here, to draw there, to photograph this, or cook that the hours and energy disappear without even trying. I'm trying to make an effort to push myself, to see things, to observe and become inspired. So often, it is easy to watch the weekend pass by in front of our laptops, catching up with rss feeds, doing laundry, watching Netflix tv episode after episode... Before we know it, Monday has arrived and our brains are still the same size as they were when we left work Friday night. I find myself in much better spirits walking and discovering, breathing the "fresh" air of New York streets and parks.

It would have been so easy just moments ago to drift off to sleep and let the day pass un-noted. I have to give myself a swift jolt and deny myself that pleasure for the moment. Instead tomorrow, I will be able to say I have written something. I have photographed something. I went somewhere. I did something worthwhile this weekend.*

*read this past week from The Healthy Brain Initiaive - A National Public Road Map to Maintaining Cognitive Health: "Mental health encompasses emotional functioning and the ability to think, reason, and remember (cognitive functioning). While standardized, widely accepted definitions of cognitive health have yet to be adopted, most experts agree that the components of healthy cognitive functioning include: language, thought, memory, executive function (the ability to plan and carry out tasks), judgment, attention, perception, remembered skills (such as driving), ability to live a purposeful life."