9.25.2006

"all that is solid melts into air"

i'm sitting here, waiting patiently (for once) for the pages to load so i can blog, and write and reflect on the day. i have time while the pages boot, to catch up on the lives of others, and it makes me happy to know that i am not the only one writing (thank you eric & isabelle). as the circle goes round and round, marking internet-time-gone-by, i turn my head to stretch my neck out which is slightly out of whack from another survived monday at work (woohoo! that makes 3 now!)...my eyesight focuses on a book which i have yet to still read. "all that is solid melts into air" by marshall berman.

i know very little what this book is actually about, but the phrase draws my mind to other places. i've just been thinking: what shall i write? what was important to me today? what did i see that struck a chord? what are the things i need remember?

the things which were so solid for me just hours ago, have now all melted into the thin, thin air.

if i did not write it here...right now...at this very moment...that last friday i witnessed a couple so in love on the subway that made my heart jump and giggle for joy, would i remember how the sparkle in her eyes died as soon as he left her two stops before she herself left me? *a pause to smile and imprint their smiling eyes and squeezed hands that was so vivid*

it is not only memorable moments which dissipate with time. i look back and remember motivations, goals, aspirations that i once considered so dear, so solid in this case...those too have melted into the thin. yes, there are certain dreams which have sustained throughout (perhaps the most strong of cases my desire to pursue a knowledge of what architecture is)...

but it would require much more careful thought to understand where and why those deviations have occurred, when was the moment they turned from a solid thing into air. did it take a long time? or was it instantaneous?

anyhow, the point of all this was: whatever i thought was important and worthwhile of the day, whatever list i was going to put here for me to remember to do, it all seems without meaning as my mind wanders towards the pillow and dreamland. i myself long to be caught up into the clouds and dream of being thin...