4.19.2003

up & running again.
"I had no idea of things in themselves, although all the feellings of actual life were already known to me. I had conceived nothing, but felt everything. These confused emotions which I felt one after the other, certainly did not warp the reasoning powers which I did not as yet possess; but they shaped them in me of a peculiar stamp, & gave me odd & romantic notions of human life, of which Experience & Reflection have never been able wholly to cure me...How could I become wicked, when I had nothing but examples of gentleness before my eyes, & none around me but the best people in the world?...My liveliest desire was to be loved by all who came near me...Thus I have spent my life in idle longing, without saying a word, in the presence of those whom I loved most...Our friendship so completely filled our hearts, that it was enough for us to be together to make the simplest amusements & delight...when absent from her I thought of her & missed her, when I was by her side, her caresses reached my heart - not my senses...my fear of it si greater than my fondness...It is a pity, his character was essentially good, we were made to love each other." -Rousseau, Confessions Book i