5.22.2005

day two

day two...it won't stop raining...the rain is light and not heavy which is good but it doesn't allow me to sit down and sketch or rest...just have to keep walking, umbrella (bought for 10 swiss francs) this a.m. in my hand and camera in the other. i found the grocery store (called coop city) and was able to buy some fruits and juice/bread - a good find because 2 bananas, a loaf of bread, pear and apple cider sparkling was only 3.80 fr...should i stop later for an evening/morning meal. i think i've pretty much walked most of zurich...a lot of things seem closed on sunday/monday which just so happen to be the days i have here...but was able to walk along the lake, see a corbu house even...it is almost as if the city is sleeping while i am allowed to venture and explore it. was going to take the dolderbahn up the mountain, but i grew tired and resigned myself to a dry, covered bench instead...can eat my small loaf and rest my feet some before heading back to the old town...kind of nice writing by hand again instead of the blog...makes me think more.

7:25 pm swiss time....got back to the hotel a few hours ago and found myself crashed out in a serious nap - well deserved though from the 6 hours of nonstop walking. now, here i am just a few steps away from the hotel, drinking my cappuchino and about to embark on my first international postcards...how come we never write each other until the moment we travel far, far away? (pause for people/cobblestone watching) i love looking at other people's shoes...and here, just being in zurich alone, i have noticed all kinds od shoes...much harder for me to decipher the personailyt based on shoe type here...usually one can tell their interest in design in the US because these "types" wear european shoes...well, here i am...in europe where everyone wears "cool shoes"...anyhow - the point being - i like the fact that i don't seem to stand out - my shoes fit...in fact, i've caught others glancing at mine...i've yet to see any quite like them and for that reaso i'm happy to stil feel unique and part of something just the same. tomorrow - off to basel by train, have to figure out how to get back to the airport...ugh...and i think i lost my map somewhere...excited to meet up with the rest of the class and nervous just the same...what will they think of my shoes?