4.26.2005

inanimate happiness

so, it's true...inanimate all-white objects can provide the sense of affection and in many senses have a conversation with my emotions and thoughts...i believe it was yesterday, or the day before now, i don't know all the days are starting to blur together, anyhow....conversation went something like so---

me: i loooove my new ipod photo!!!! and i don't use the word love lightly...hehe
response: i'm glad you have found something to shower your affection on

me: yeah...but inanimate objects don't love back...that's the only sucky part

response: it could play you a song


i was doubtful that "buttercup" - the affectionate nickname i usually give to my favourite technological babies - would not be able to place that same genuine, sincere, from the pits of my heart feeling that say one gets when your hand is squeezed or fingers brush against your hair. i was wrong...a shuffled song, came to thru my earphones that made me recall last night's conversation/discussion about the paul virilio article below and the worries/addictions i might myself be victim to- being connected by computers, and saftey, hesitation, missing a face...somehow i found myself drifting into the song, just as any person might drift away in an actual physical conversation. and for a brief moment, "face time" was there and real for me because the memory was so vivid...so, my ipod took me on a nice little walk today, held my hand, and whispered sweet nothings in my ear. a treat which may even be better than ginger spice cookies.

ah yes, the song that it serenaded me with... [ "half light" by athlete ]---the important parts are here below...

the sun got stuck, as it's making it's way back down,
we find ourselves, in a familiar part of town

so when i see you next we'll make the most of it
tell the sun to start moving again

it's you and me connected to a satellite
it's you and me love through a machine
it's you and me connected to a satellite
it's you and me love through a machine

so when i see you next we'll make the most of it...