4.02.2005

naps, breezes, & applause

(first off, let me tell you that kylie minogue's song "can't get you out of my head" complete with video playing continuously in my mind's eye right about now...ugh, i'll be singing it all day now)

this weather is playing with my emotions...one day, beautiful, spring in the air, short-sleeve shirts and skirts alike, then the next day raining and grey, overcast and cold. i was wakened by an illinois friend text messaging my phone at noon today. yes, noon i said...i would have slept more even (that's what happens when you go 3 days with 8 hours sleep dispersed between them) actually, i was able to sneak in a little nap yesterday...after turning in things for all my respected deadlines, aatif (my friend who will also be travelling to mcgill in the fall) asked me if i would like to go to baltimore to drop off his RTKL fellowship application. i pondered awhile and realized it was such a beautiful day out...plus that would mean 45 minutes both ways of potential car-nap time. as soon as i thought nap, i was responding with a resounding yes!

the waterfront area was beautiful and breezy, i love the refreshing wind on blue skied days (one of my favourite weather conditions). there was a miniature pier that jutted out from just behing RTKL's offices, which reminded me of the long pier i walked on chicago's beach. (pause as i reminisce almost falling overboard---gol)

(ugh...i just got up to go do something, tripped and fell right over my headphones, breaking them completely...i must not be fully awake and have control over my motor-coordination yet...bummer)

today is really the first day that i feel i can write here without feeling rushed or with other thoughts impending on my mind. which is nice for once. i miss this being a place to record my daily highlights.

[ j a h r e d ] - a kindred, thoughtful spirit, a.k.a. my studio neighbor behind the imaginery saloon doors and bearer of all things twizzler, commented on reading my writings here...and it made me smile. he left a get well comment the other day and since i didn't have his email address, he came up with the brilliant idea that i could have just posted something in return...so here i am...posting a note to say that your twizzlers are not going unappreciated.

yesterday afternoon/evening, there were not 1 but 2 thesis defenses...meaning lots of wine/a keg/and food a-plenty to go around...and much celebration and merriment. at the end of nearly everyone's defense, a loud round of applause and appreciation resounds in the room, and i feel the tears well up in my own heart/eyes. i am not sure why this is, is it because i'm happy someone else's hard work is being recognized, is it because i can feel the relief that has been lifted from their shoulders from completion, or is it because i imagine myself in a year being in their position, looking out at all the familiar faces and knowing that my time here has not gone unwarranted and it means an inevitable end in another chapter of my life...